18th October, 2023Artisan Furniture proudly hosted its inaugural sustainability roundtable at the House of Lords this past October. This landmark event was organised in tandem with the All-Party Parliamentary Group for India (Trade and Investment) and the 1928 Institute— a renowned think tank associated with Oxford University. This was the first ever sustainable supply chains event held in Parliament.
Discussions & Highlights:
The roundtable centred around these critical themes:
- UK-India Sustainable Supply Chains: Participants delved deep into the nuances of establishing robust, sustainable supply chains between the UK and India. They highlighted the potential for enhancing trade relations while ensuring ecological responsibility.
- Challenges & Opportunities: Discussions illuminated the challenges faced in the current supply chain framework and brainstormed innovative solutions to address them, exploring avenues like technology integration, policy adjustments, and stakeholder engagement.
- Support for Small Businesses: Conversations underscored the importance of incorporating small businesses into these sustainable supply chains, ensuring they too reap the benefits of enhanced UK-India trade relationships.
- Community Development: Emphasis was placed on ensuring that sustainability initiatives also encompass community welfare, particularly in regions integral to the supply chain.
- Innovation in Green Financing: Experts discussed the latest advancements in financial instruments supporting sustainable supply chains, and the potential benefits and challenges these tools bring to the UK-India trade relationship
Purpose Achieved: Beyond fostering dialogue, the roundtable facilitated vital networking opportunities, shared insights, and initiated the foundation for future collaborations. The strengthening of the UK-India trade relationship, with a focus on sustainable supply chains, emerged as a core theme.
Participation: The event was graced by a diverse ensemble of industry leaders, academic scholars, parliamentarians, and Peers spanning multiple sectors. A special commendation to our guests in academia and ESG that flew in from California to attend this roundtable.
Long-Term Vision: Artisan Furniture, bolstered by the success of this roundtable, is poised to champion the cause of sustainable supply chains, especially in the UK-India corridor. We’re geared to drive forward with periodic roundtables, insightful studies, and sector-specific events, all aimed at enhancing the sustainability of global trade networks.
About Artisan Furniture: B Corp certified Artisan Furniture exemplifies commitment to social responsibility. We act as a bridge, connecting underprivileged artisans from northwest India to the global stage. Our journey, spotlighted by platforms like Forbes and strengthened by mentorships from entities like Goldman Sachs & Oxford University, continues to inspire. Delve deeper into our ethos and initiatives here.